The Mechatronics Engineering Major Degree at Ain Shams University has opened its doors to undergraduate students in Fall-2004 and has since evolved into today's well-known Mechatronics Program. Mechatronics integrates multidisciplinary fields of Mechanical, Electronics, Computer Science and Control Engineering.
The aim of this study program is to graduate Mechatronics engineers that are capable of penetrating Egyptian, regional, and international markets with their knowledge, skills, professionalism and ethics. The study in the Mechatronics Program also aims at providing the students with a widespread knowledge and hands-on experience in Robotics, Programming, Control Systems plus many other related subjects.
The department had a funded Tempus Project "Mekatron" in the duration of Sep. 2005 - Sep.2008. Prof.Magdy AbdelHameed was the coordinator of the project. Throughout this project, the Mechatronics Lab has been established to provide different training and innovative skills for undergraduate and postgraduate students. The second Lab owned by the department is the Automatic Control Lab. Today, the department's research program focuses on advanced fields in Mechatronics such as Bio-Mechatronics, Autotronics, Industrial Automation, Robotics, , and Nano-Mechatronics (N/MEMS).
Providing excellent Mechatronics engineering education based on applying advanced technologies to serve the Industry.
Education should provide a scientific engineering education aiming at an up-to-date and sustained preparation for the whole professional career.
This program is designed to:
- Enrich the student’s basic theoretical and practical knowledge of mechatronic system components, and design methodologies of mechatronic systems.
- Develop the student’s ability to use the state-of-the-art technologies to find affordable, reliable and innovative solutions to improve our daily quality of life.
- Develop the student’s ability to work within a multidisciplinary team during the analysis, design and implementation phases of mechatronics engineering projects, while applying ethical standards and environmental considerations.
- Develop the student’s ability to conduct Research and Development (R&D) activities to create innovative mechatronic solutions having direct impact on industrial, commercial, and social scales.
- Enrich the student’s management and business skills to be able to effectively contribute and compete in local, regional and international markets
- Setup and operate automated and/or autonomous production lines which are based on embedded systems, PLCs and SCADA systems.
- Carry out the modern troubleshooting and maintenance techniques relevant to what we call it machine health monitoring (MHM) for both hardware and software or combined mechatronic products.
- Design, develop and maintain safety critical mechatronic systems.